Featured “Folk Art” Copper Panels

Discussion in 'Art' started by Shwikman, Feb 10, 2022.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

So these were in my Grandparent’s house from at least back to the mid/late 60’s. I’m wondering when this sort of thing was popular(if ever). I’m also considering the possibility that my grandmother could’ve made them as I’ve got quite a bit of leftover copper, picture frame jig, etc.
    Overall it almost has a “paint by numbers” or needlework pattern type of feel…there’s something funky going on but I kind of like them….they seem to fit over the glass fireplace door so I’m giving that try here for a bit, the “hunting lodge” look isn’t what I’m going for though!

8C26EC0E-B95F-4D93-B30D-84A4F07BE0EE.jpeg B266A57B-2A01-4D29-B865-08132BB89672.jpeg D0B21DBD-B4CA-4569-ABF0-E5123ADC590C.jpeg

judy, Born2it, dude and 3 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW!!!! Those are GORGEOUS!!!! AND looks like your Grandmother did a LOT of work on them!!:singing::singing::singing::):) But I'd wait for others comments to see what they think! Maybe when the fire died down, just to help retain heat from going up the chimney???

judy, Born2it, dude and 2 others like this.
  3. Shwikman

Thank You!
    I’m definitely not certain that she made them but I’m pretty sure it’s a possibility.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm wondering if she or whoever did them signed their initials/signature in the lower right corners of each panel.....the left & middle panels look like there's similar MAYBE 'initials'???? Couldn't tell on the right panel....darker and not as sharp in that corner!!

5. Shwikman

All I can really see is scribbles of grass unfortunately

judy and dude like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't think these qualify as "Folk Art." They are much nicer than that.

judy, dude, Shwikman and 2 others like this.
  7. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Who ever made them did an amazing job. They are Beautiful!
    Mikey

8. Shwikman

Thanks Folks!!

Any thoughts on when these could’ve been made? 60’s maybe?

judy and dude like this.
  9. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Gorgeous!

judy and Shwikman like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

A lot of this kind of thing was done by hobbyists in the 50s and 60s. These are a cut above most such work in scale and execution. Might have been made off a pattern and/or a kit.

11. Shwikman

That makes sense, thank you!!

judy and Born2it like this.
  12. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

As Brad mentioned, there were a lot of kits, for making images by pressing copper against a form, and some similar done without a kit, at that time, but these are indeed much more detailed than any such I've seen. There is a lot of work in the background alone!
    I'm wondering if they might perhaps be imports, perhaps from the Middle East, where copper and brass work is and was popular.

judy and Shwikman like this.
  13. Shwikman

Anything is possible without a doubt!

Would a photo of the backside covering/construction be of any help or add any relevant info here?

Born2it and judy like this.
  14. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

It certainly might, thanks!

Shwikman and Born2it like this.
  15. Shwikman

May not be of any help but:

The wood frames are light colored and relatively soft, stained along the sides and painted copper-ish on the front facing lip. There’s paper glued to the back and a poster board backing that’s tacked-in.
    EE3F40E7-64B4-4ED6-90E4-AD3863E234B2.jpeg 0EC958B3-BA02-4138-A483-54374022C764.jpeg 265AAC26-5440-497C-8F4F-4A35603A3580.jpeg 12F5404E-1F1E-4FEF-82A7-2E0F9B71554C.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted