Featured ‘General’ thoughts on little painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Boland, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

CC167EBC-B32B-4D7E-83A4-98A87AB136BD.jpeg 0C3FA899-AA3C-47E5-8E7A-97DE1254983F.jpeg Hi all,I really like this little charity shop painting. But was also thinking it might be a bit older than the ugly 80’s frame. But then I discovered a ‘ 87 date hidden underneath the frame (so sadly it’s very recent)

So now just for interest sake your thoughts please. Is this by a talented artist? (I thought so) It’s 15,5 x 21cm,oil on board.
    Thank you for your time

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

He certainly knows what he's doing.
    Willem de la Querra, unusual name, and I expect local, with a first name like Willem.

3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Hi AJ,thank you for the comment. Indeed a interesting combination,a Dutch name with a Spanish a surname.

4. Any Jewelry

Although the surname sounds Spanish, I wonder if it could be Portuguese.
    Some Dutch colonies around the Indian Ocean used to be Portuguese, and freed Portuguese slaves became part of Dutch colonial culture as 'Burghers'. Quite a few ended up in other Dutch colonies.

5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting.Thanks

judy, ulilwitch and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and ulilwitch like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And I think his work is charming. Even the original frame which enhances it.

Debora

Boland likes this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I like it and would have bought it too, and it looks great in its original frame.

Boland likes this.
  10. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comment. Glad you like it. Personally I still don’t like the frame much.

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I'd like it more if it hadn't have been rub damaged. Can always change it out, or spray paint it. If you bought the painting for eventual resale, I'd just leave it. I'm kind of lazy like that! ;)

Boland likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The frame likely to the artist's taste. Truly can't imagine anything that would suit it better.

Debora

Boland, antidiem and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Ditto. Keep it like this, it suits it, and as Debora said, probably the artist's choice.

Boland, antidiem and Debora like this.
  14. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I'll stick my neck out here and say the frame is one of multitude of right choices. Lots of styles would suit. I'd personally go darker so the frame receeds to really evoke the "glistening sun on water" feel. The current frame has scratching and rubbing damage....so it at least needs a touch-up if it's being kept.

Being an artist, but also a former framer, I can very confidently say lots of artists don't consider the frame as carefully. Some don't know what to pick, have no time to choose when they just want to get something up for a show, are trying to frame cheaply, think there's a frame style rule, or just simply pick questionable things. I think this one is a perfectly fine choice, but you shouldn't feel you have to keep something that doesn't suit you. ;)

Boland likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

With all due respect to your professional expertise... I'm going to disagree. A highly theatrical but minor work. Think it would fall apart in a modern, over-thought frame. It's current frame reflects the time when, the place where it was created and the materials available in South Africa in a period likely effected by boycotts and sanctions.

Debora

16. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Those in favor of the frame have spoken certainly, but I did not want Boland to be alone and think they would be judged for not liking a damaged, mass-produced frame. I did not say it was a bad frame.

There are 1000s of different mouldings on the market currently. There's no one modern style.

I only see sanctions on export of oil, munitions, govt funding, computers. No sanctions on art supplies. But yes, it is certainly of the 1980s period.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    Boland likes this.
  17. architrave

architrave Well-Known Member

Though the frame is a bit ugly it sort of picks up on the off-whites and golds in the image.

Boland likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted