Military Pin Help Crossed Rifles with Letters & Number

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by cxgirl, Jan 17, 2015.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    These came in a box-lot from an auction today and I'm trying to figure them out.
    6 pins, 1 1/2" in length. I think these are for infantry, but wonder if they are reproductions. Maybe for wearing on the collar!
    Any info appreciated.
    thanks for looking.
    DSC01101.jpg DSC01102.jpg DSC01103.jpg DSC01104.jpg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

New York 8th Infantry (or 1st Infantry for the one with a 1 on top) with the letters standing for the various lettered Companies. Odd that you found so many different ones and only 1 pair.

3. Bakersgma

It just occurred to me - what the heck would US Civil War era uniform devices (probably repro) be doing up in your neck of the woods?

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There's no wear or age marks on those at all. Maybe a Reinactor had them?

5. Bakersgma

Probably (although he'd only need that variety if he was supplying a group methinks) - but cxgirl lives in Canada.

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

7. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I notice a cotter pin was used on one of them as a repair :)

I see just the one with the pins, I wonder why the others don't have fasteners? Do they slide onto another piece?

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi Shiloh, the one has cotter pins in place of fasteners, the others are just missing the fasteners.

9. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Thanks Cx....I opened my trap before I studied the other pins ;)

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I had an original one. In my opinion, without seeing them in person, I'd guess these were reproduced for re-enactments. I work with a group of Minutemen re-enactors and I've seen the items that they purchase. There is no appreciable wear on these. If they were original and had belonged to a collector, the reason for so many different unit pins in one place, they would all have different wear patterns. They are too consistent.

11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I don't think they are reproductions, my rationale being that there are lots of such original collar insignia around, and I don't think there's a financial incentive (aka "market") for reproductions of these. They may well post-date the ACW. There is no wear seen on these because many orig NOS examples are avail on the market, some still on the cardboard sheets they we're put on at the factory. I am thinking this type was used up to about 1898, but uniform stuff isn't my field.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  12. springfld.arsenal

If you want the nth detail on these, post on the Company of Military Historians forum, with link back to here if u want them to see all pix as that site only allows one pic per post. Of crs u can put replies each with one pic.

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks spring, I'll post to the forum and see what they have to say.

14. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

If you get any extra info, can you come back to this thread and post an up-date?

cxgirl likes this.
  15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Will do Wendy - I've signed up and just waiting for approval.

16. springfld.arsenal

Hmmm, sry, public used to be able to post there with questions, with no mgt intervention, if you don't get "approved" in a day or so rattle my cage and I'll either steer u into that portal if it still exists or just post a link back to this board and ask 4 help.

17. tandkpaxton

tandkpaxton Member

These are late 1800s, the crossed rifle insignia being adopted in 1875. I'm pretty sure the inclusion of the regiment and company didn't occur until the 1890s. During the Civil War the infantry used a horn as its insignia.

cxgirl likes this.
  18. der_adler1

der_adler1 Member

I would guess that this is a collection of Infantry officers insignia from the NY National Guard from the 1910-1925 time period with a number of different companies (the Letters) and the different regiments (the numbers) that made up the NY National guard.

cxgirl likes this.
  19. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim and der_adler1! I forgot about this thread.
    Using 'National Guard' I was able to find others,(not NY) but they have a pin closure on the backs and were dated WW1.
    I did post this on the forum spring recommended but didn't get a reply.

20. springfld.arsenal

I did post this on the forum spring recommended but didn't get a reply.

Yep I noticed-seems an easy enuf question for them, but... I am still 95%+ certain they are original for same reasons as mentioned before-there are so many originals available-and unissued ones at that-there is no reason for anyone to bother with reproducing them.

cxgirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted