Jadeite possibly ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by daveydempsey, Jun 13, 2014.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I found these lumps of green stone on the beach last week, deep green with smooth glass effect on some sides and rough on other parts, largest piece is about an inch.
    This area had millions of tons of earth deposits dumped on it by glaciers during the ice age, so they could have come from anywhere in northern Europe, Arctic Circle, or even Asiatic Russia.
    I left lots of it behind, but it is a remote part of the coast and easily recoverable if I`m about to become wealthy :jawdrop:

001.JPG

006.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Maybe a green chert or green jasper?

3. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Could be green jasper? Sorry but it does not look like jadeite:( I like it though,bet it would make nice cabs :)

4. spirit-of-shiloh

5. daveydempsey

Yes it looks like those examples of green chert & green agate., Thanks.
    This has not washed up recently as it would be rounded and smooth like beach rocks.
    It has come from the land which the sea has reclaimed from coastal erosion, the place I found it at was a mile inland when I last went there 45 years ago.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. spirit-of-shiloh

I wondered why they were all feactured as opposed to being smooth. They are still a cool find ;)

7. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I'd guess malachite

8. User 67

User 67 Active Member

I think that Jadeite is fairly site specific so is there jadeite in northern Europe, Arctic Circle, or even Asiatic Russia? jadeite is a rather heavy stone, meaning it sinks to the bottom even under ocean tides.

My guess is natural glass from a lightening strike on silica sand, there is silica sand in No. Europe. It is often some shade of green. Natural glass is collectable as a rare mineral sample, though I don't know that it would exceed the value of jewelry grade jasper. It is also lighter than many stones and would shuffle along the surface of the tidal movements.

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Davey,
    looks like some of the stuff I found on a beach in Denmark. It was green chert that eroded from a cliff.
    I found a large piece of black chert that looked like a vetebra from a dinasaour. I was hoping for amber or a hunk of ambergrise. lol
    greg

10. daveydempsey

Yes this has fallen onto the beach from the clay and limestone coastline which has taken a big hit this winter.
    I often find Jet when walking the coastline with my dog.
    My part of the coast was joined up with Holland and Scandinavia before the ice-age, there is an area out to sea called Doggerland which is full of the skeletal remains of prehistoric animals, Mammoths, Lions, Sabre Tooth Tigers. Rhino`s etc.
    The fishing trawlers from my home port were always dragging up ivory tusks in their nets in the 60-70`s.

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I know NOTHING of your area, Davey. Was it once a volcanic region?

Educate me please. :happy:

12. daveydempsey

Hi B,
    No not volcanic, its as flat as a pancake, the expanding frozen sea in the iceage sheared the top off the coastal land and dumped it miles inland.
    Here is some history of my village.

Cottingham is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It lies just to the north-west of the city of Kingston upon Hull. With a population of 17,263 (2001 UK census) Cottingham claims to be the largest village in England; although this is contended by Ashington in Northumberland and Lancing, West Sussex.
    The name Cottingham derives from 'Homestead of Cotta's people', Cotta being the name of an Anglo-Saxon tribal chief from the mid 5th Century. Cotta is derived from Ket, the female deity of the Ancient Britons, which itself comes from the Celtic word Coed meaning 'a wood'. Late Bronze Age artifacts have been found in the village confirming settlement by the Beaker people. The earliest recorded owner of Cottingham was Gamel, the son of Osbert, from the reign of Edward the Confessor in the 11th Century.

Shortly after 1066, William the Conqueror took possession of the manor and handed it to Robert Front de Boeuf, one of his prized knights. By the time of the Domesday book in 1086 the Cotting manor was owned by descendants of Front de Boeuf, a family called Stuteville. It was made up of a mill, several fisheries and cultivated farm land. In 1200, a royal licence to hold a market, fairs and to fortify Baynard castle was obtained from King John. By 1349, the manor passed through the female family line to Joan Wake, the Fair Maid of Kent, who married her cousin Edward the Black Prince and was the mother of Richard II. Baynard castle remained the manor house until the reign of Henry VIII, when it was destroyed by fire. The ramparts of the castle are still visible in the gardens off Northgate, near the corner of West End Road.

The current site of Cottingham High School was, in the Middle Ages, a royal hunting ground to be enjoyed by the Prior of the Minster of St John, Beverley. From the 16th to late 18th centuries, the site remained arable open fields until enclosure in 1793. Shortly afterward in 1802, the site was used to build a late Georgian styled house called Cottingham Grange. The house survived until 1951 and although in disrepair, was used by the Ministry of Defence during World War II as officers quarters. The current school opened in 1955 with additional blocks added in the 1970s.

The Cottingham Parish Church is a large Gothic structure built in 1272 and dedicated to St. Mary, the Virgin. The interior is medieval with several monuments; of note those dedicated to Burtons of Hotham and the tombstones with monumental brasses dating from 1383. The first Free school in Cottingham was built in the grounds of the church in 1666, by John Wardle Jnr to educate the children of the poor. Mark Kirby left a substantial endowment in his will of 1712, renaming the school the Mark Kirby Free School. By 1783, a workhouse had been built as an extension to the school, with segregated male and female sections. The present building is not the original and is now the Church Hall. In the same period, around 1771 the Churchwardens of St Mary’s allocated land to the east of the village to poor families of Cottingham. The settlement was originally known as 'Paupers’ Gardens' and renamed 'New Village' in the 1820s - leading to the current name New Village Road, between Endyke and Middledyke lanes.

Castle Hill Hospital is built on the grounds of a manor house called Cottingham Castle, which was owned by Thomas Thompson until the late 19th century. In the 1820s there were high quality fresh water springs on the site linked to nearby Springhead. A single turret of the original house still remains and can be seen from Eppleworth Road. The Castle Park estate, lying on the land below the hospital grounds was built over a 20 year period from the late 1960s.

Here is what happened to the city during WWII.

The city's port and industrial facilities, coupled with its proximity to mainland Europe and ease of location being on a major estuary, led to extremely widespread damage by bombing raids during World War II; much of the city centre was completely destroyed. Hull had 95% of its houses damaged or destroyed, making it the most severely-bombed British city or town, apart from London, during World War II.
    Of a population of approximately 320,000 at the beginning of World War II, approximately 192,000 were made homeless as a result of bomb destruction or damage. The worst of the bombing occurred during 1941. Little was known about this destruction by the rest of the country at the time since most of the radio and newspaper reports did not reveal Hull by name but referred to it as a "North-East" town or "northern coastal town". Most of the city centre was rebuilt in the years following the war.

13. antidiem

Sounds like a lovely place. I'm sorry to read it was bombed in the WWII.

I'm always sorry to read about any war.

14. daveydempsey

Both sets of my grandparents lost businesses due to the bombings.
    My mother and her family were bombed out of two homes, they lost everything apart from a case full of photographs.

This city saw the first action of the English Civil War too.

In April 1642 Charles I moved to secure the port of Hull, he found the gates firmly shut. Having considered it his divine right to gain access to Hull's extensive arsenal (the largest weapons cache outside the Tower of London, no less), Charles discovered that the MP, Sir John Hotham, refused to follow royal orders. After a siege, the citizens drove away the royalists under gunfire – and Hull witnessed the first military action of the English civil war.

15. antidiem

I tried to follow the WWII link (that Wiki provided) about it but cannot figure it out - was it Germany who did the bombing?

I didn't pay attention in my history classes. Always thought history was re-written over and over again by the winners of wars.

Glad your family was safe, sorry to hear about their losses though. Good they were able to make it out alive with the family photographs. What a hell that must have been to endure.

16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It sounds like a lovely area steeped in history. I did see you mentioned limestone. I'll never claim to know much about geology but I have spent some time doing archaeology in Texas (US of course). The area we were working was a gathering spot for early people due in part to the abundance of chert for working into stone tools. The chert deposits there are found in the limestone but then I've got no idea of what might be found in your area. One of these days I'm planning to come poke around England/Scotland a bit so maybe I'll have to have a look for myself :D. I love rocks!

antidiem and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  17. daveydempsey

was it Germany who did the bombing?

Just a bit, LOL
    My mother when she was alive never forgave me when I bought a Mercedes, she called it the Hitler car.:rolleyes::D

18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Davey, I didn't realize where in the UK you were. My daughter did both her undergrad & her MA at the University of York, so we spent a fair amount of time visiting (only about 10 trips!) & driving around Yorkshire.

Also had a wonderful friend from DC (he was with the British Embassy in Washington) who had moved back to the UK & settled in Driffield, so we spent a fair amount of time there, too.

Sadly, daughter lost her UK work permit when the economy tanked, and our friend in Driffield has passed away, so we haven't been back since 2010.

I would love to be hanging out there now (instead of finishing up the packing & anticipating the arrival of a couple of moving vans on Wednesday!) but it just isn't going to happen anytime soon. Sigh...

19. daveydempsey

Wow, small world, York is 35 miles away and Driffield is just up the road.

20. daveydempsey

LOL,
    I could have got you some rocks when I found these, I loaded about half a ton of unusual and decorative ones off the beach into my sons van and brought them home for garden features.
    Its technically illegal to take rocks off the beach but there has been the same amount of prosecutions for it as there have for lying on US customs forms, Nil. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted