Italian Pottery Mark Help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Aug 13, 2015.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Picked up a few items with this mark. Is it anything important?

italy1.JPG italy2.JPG

moreotherstuff and KingofThings like this.
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi kraftblue! Went through Walter's book quickly but didn't see this mark. Might need to wait for him to check in. I do find it interesting but can't decide if I like it or not :)!
    Don

3. kraftblue

Thanks Don. There was more but I don't always have good luck with Italian pottery...so I just picked up a few

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I've had some decent luck with Raffaellesco (it sells at least but not always for very much). I'll be putting up some Deruta for sale in about a month or so but I have real problems finding pieces without damage. This stuff is so fragile!
    Don

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I've had a few Deruta chipped pieces. They still sell, but not for much.

6. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

Several decades ago I had read a small article about the San Zeno pottery (in Pisa). The article claimed the studio was owned by the widow of a ceramics artist in the 1930's. I could never confirm this fact and there was, up until now, nothing that could shed light on this pottery. Over my four decades of collecting Italian pottery I have owned several examples from San Zeno and I love the pieces produced by this studio but all that was known was that it was a short lived studio in the 1930's.
    written in Italian and entitled "LE DONNE NELL’ARTE" (WOMEN IN ART) I have uncovered the history of this fascinating pottery.
    The company was established in 1926 by Laura Rauschi in the her palace on the road, Via San Zeno. The pottery was more a school than a working kiln. The object of the company was to train young women in the ceramic arts. Seventeen ladies were chosen for the first year and each year employment increased. The pottery was officially known as "The Terracotta Artist of San Zeno" and it attempted to copy the 14th and 15th century pottery of Pisa. The pottery closed in 1940.
    So what we have here is not merely a piece of pottery but an an early 20th century example at an attempt to bring women into the modern workplace. It is both an artistic plate and a social statement.
    Walter Del Pellegrino

7. kraftblue

Thanks Walter. My pottery is 1940 or before? Doesn't look it at all. Can I use your info in my description?

Kath

8. kraftblue

Walter hope you don't mind me using your info. Thanks for the great info!

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very interesting history!

dgbjwc likes this.
  10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Yes, very interesting. Thanks for sharing it!

dgbjwc likes this.
  11. Gipailli

Gipailli New Member

You can find also the story of "San Zeno" factory on "La Ceramica a Pisa tra Otto e Novecento" (27 ceramics factory in that period)

Draft saved Draft deleted