Help with Pewter Mug Marks

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by cxgirl, Aug 3, 2014.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to figure the marks out the marks on this British pewter mug, stands 5" in height - there are 3 DI Ely marks plus numerous other marks - very confusing to me. Hoping someone can help!
    thanks for looking
    Mary
    DSC06460.jpg DSC06452.jpg DSC06454.jpg DSC06456.jpg DSC06457.jpg

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

All that google shows for DI Ely is the same 1/2 pint mug listed over and over. Perhaps Ely was the owner's name rather than a maker.

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

You could be right Terry. I saw that on google but when I click on the link it has expired so I can't see if it has all the same marks as this one.
    Mary

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It has the official Victorian marks for a pint mug, and this means that it was used in a pub (Public house, tavern or saloon for the colonists) as pub glasses are to this day. They have to have the official weights and measures stamp or etching to be used to serve beer. No private owner would have a mug stamped like this unless they pinched it from the pub. (we used to have pub very near the house and drinkers would throw empty pint glasses in our garden. They stocked the kitchen and we still have a few unbroken over 20 years.)

Excuse the aside, old men ramble.

Your DI Ely marks probably means it came from Ely, in the Fens, and may have belonged to a pub called the Drovers Inn or similar, there would be no need for a full name since Ely in the mid 19th C was not huge, a stamped initial would be all it would need to find its way to the appropriate hostelry, and also prevent its use in another since the first customer to be served with it would say, "Hoi, you nicked this from the Duchess Inn." And probably "Gissa nother pint and I'll not be after telling em."

If you can trace a pub or hotel in 19th C Ely with the initial DI, money is on you having pinned it down.

I really don't think it belonged the famous Detective Inspector Ely of Scotland Yard, who in the late 19th C. almost cracked the Jack The Ripper case.

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great information AF, rambles are always welcome.
    Any thoughts on the mark in the last photo?
    Mary

6. afantiques

The last mark has a number under it. The official VR stamp has a number under it, and the local pub glass I mentioned which is just beside me has the word 'pint' and a crown with a number under it.

So I am guessing that the stamp with a number under it is some other official stamp that I do not know about.

The tankard is a humble utility object, all the marks shown seem to be utility marks. If anywhere I'd expect the pewterer's touchmark to be on the underside. But I'd not be surprised if it was not marked.

7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

afantiques likes this.
  8. afantiques

The unexplained mark could be an earlier non standard mark for Ely.

9. Hermann

Hermann New Member

SQUATTING ANGEL PLAYING A TRUMPET - PEWTER HALLMARK

I recently bought the miniature pewter tankard pictured in the link below because it's an exact replica of a 12 inch one that acquired in Athens, Greece, at a flea market this summer:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/497834...miniature-pewter?show_sold_out_detail=1&frs=1

What's interesting about my pewter steins is that both have a hallmark depicting a squatting angel playing a trumpet. Please see the link's pictures. Although the angel hallmark is common in European pewter objects, the one depicted on my steins does not appear to be on record according to my research. Does anyone have any specific information pertaining to this particular angel mark that could help determine the age and country of origin of my steins?

The tankards' crest is also a mystery. The seller of the miniature told me that he assumed it was an English crest because the angel hallmark was common in England. However, it was also common, and perhaps more generalized, in continental Europe. The Greek flea market seller had no information about the 12 inch stein.

Draft saved Draft deleted