Are these Asian Items or Old Worcester?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by moontymes, Jul 24, 2014.

1. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

They look like some Worcester I've had before but I'm a little undecided. Anyone care to take a stab at it?
    Two are plates, the one with the white ground is unmarked, and I have no idea what that's supposed to be in the center.
    The green jar and plate are very very similar, but the plate has a LESS Worcester-y looking mark than the jar. Thanks for any help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. moontymes

The mark above is the jar. Here is the plate. They look like a set, but the plate has a Japanese mark on it:

[​IMG]

3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Not Worcester, although the plate on the right looks like it's copying an early 19th c. pattern.

4. moontymes

Thanks Wendy. So I guess they're Japanese, then?

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

They look like Satsuma, Satsuma, and Imari to me, reading from the left

But I know next to nothing about crockery.

6. kentworld

Crockery? I think not! :beaver:

Dunno if Japanese, or some other maker. Likely "southeast Asian" somewhere!

7. moontymes

Southeast Asian....you mean like, Indonesian? I was thinking they are definitely either Chinese, Japanese or English.

8. kentworld

Moon -- when the term "southeast Asian" is used (at least by me) it means I don't really have a clue whether Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indonesian, Vietnamese, etc. ;)

9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Do British makers put fake/mock Chinese or Japanese marks on stuff?

I have never heard of such a thing but I'm not a pottery person.

10. moontymes

AF, they don't anymore but in the late 18th/early 19th century they did. Mostly Worcester, but maybe Chamberlain's as well. I have come across quite a few of these pieces for the short time I've been selling antiques, which is only 3 years. I seem to have an uncanny knack for finding English porcelain that looks Asian, LOL.

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

European makers did put fake Chinese marks on pieces back in the 18th and 19th centuries, but they're generally really fake... no confusing them with real Chinese characters.

12. kentworld

13. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Yup!

SAMSON MARKS-001.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted