1950-60s Statesville Chair.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Armando0831, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg I got this st the Goodwill today. What first caught my eye was the color. I love the blue. I checked for a tag and found one that says "Stateville Chair Co." I don't know much about Statesville Chairs but after a quick search, I found out they are collectible,especially their earlier works. I've searched for one like this but can't seem to find one. Any one seen one like this?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

who cares !!
    Looks comfy !!!!
    Nice purchase.......

3. Armando0831

Thank you. Ya, I had to sit in it before buying it, it is really comfy. I thought my wife was going to kill me.

4. Armando0831

This chair has no flaws at all. Whoever had it, took very good care of it.

5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Joe, I believe you meant "my wife" rather than "the wife"?
    Remember, one's wife (or husband) is a person, not a tractor or car. :)

silverthwait and Armando0831 like this.
  6. Armando0831

Yes, my wife. Like I've said before, sometimes my words don't come out they way I'm intending on saying them.:)

Messilane likes this.
  7. komokwa

If she's gonna kill you for that chair.....yer gonna die in comfort !!
    lol......
    & that ain't half bad !!

8. Armando0831

Lol.. You're right. The reason I said that is because I collect chairs also. I don't have a lot of them. It's just, with all my prints, paintings, etc...she is wondering where I'm going to put all this stuff. I've made space to keep this in the living room.

9. Messilane

And you are right about the color! Love it!
    Unless the rest of your furniture is a clashing color? heehee

10. komokwa

Ummmm...she has a point.....maybe you could try collecting stamps......they're like paintings......ONLY SMALLER !!!!

Heeheeheeeeee !!!!!!!!:smuggrin:

11. Messilane

Just don't buy books! I don't have an empty shelf, or a clear flat space, left in my house! :D

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  12. Armando0831

I already do that too......:arghh:

13. Armando0831

image.jpg image.jpg Here's a couple of my chairs in the living room. The rocking chair is Virginia House.

14. Armando0831

I collect coins, baseball cards, stamps, old newspaper articles, records, obviously paintings, just started a little on books.

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting something else.

15. komokwa

my dad had the same rocking chair......left it in his country house...when he had to sell it....sigh..

16. Messilane

I just took a good look at the first photo - I would have purchased the white chair in a heart beat, and that cool table in the background.

17. Armando0831

I got that chair at the goodwill. A customer had it at the register, was about to buy it and changed their mind. Once they took their hands off it, I was on it. Three other people were about to jump on it. They asked if I wanted it, I was like "um, Yes!"

18. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Just 'cause I'm curious-Do you know if the "wood" in the top part of the chair is really solid wood as it comes from a tree, or is it presswood (compressed sawdust and glue.) I'm pretty sure the lower part has to be real wood but don't know about the top.

19. Armando0831

This chair is all solid wood. It appears to be walnut.

20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

More likely a 'fruitwood finish' - I remember similar caned 'Italian Provincial' chairs from the '60s-70s, usually upholstered in velvet (often avocado green or gold), the crisp blue is an improvement...

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted